Thursday, June 23, 2011

June 2011: Moore appears in new Vickers film

masthead

People v. The State of Illusion
People v. The State of Illusion
Exalt Films, and Movies From The Heart, are proud to present People v. The State of Illusion, a film by Austin Vickers.  This feature length documentary/ drama, directed by award winning Director Scott Cervine, is set in the notorious "Old Main Prison" of the New Mexico State Penitentiary, and tells the story of Aaron Roberts, a single father who is arrested and tried on manslaughter and assault charges following an incident that claims the life of a woman.  Following his conviction and imprisonment, Aaron's daughter is sent to a State home for children because there are no other family members to care for her.  While in the State home, an attorney learns of her plight and the story of her father, and decides to represent her in an innovative and surprising case against the State.

Written and produced by Austin Vickers, this movie explores the science and power of perception and imagination and the prison walls of habitual thought and behavior that we all create, and documents the evidence that answers the central question of this provocative film, "can we really change?" Featured in the film are 9 of the nation's leading thinkers in the fields of neuroscience, biochemistry, psychology, quantum physics, sociology, and consciousness theory.




Find me on Facebook

Follow me on Twitter

June 2011

    June has been a soggy month in New Hampshire, good for the plants sprouting up all around me but not for outdoor activities. At least once a week I play golf, a somewhat maligned sport that I find fascinating both as a game and as a fantasy. I'd like to write another book about it, but I don't suppose there is much of a market for my approach. I wrote a piece for the Huffington Post on sports, and it was one of the least read of my contributions. 
    I'm also planning a book on the loss of humanity in our science-driven society. I'm using Thoreau's two-year retreat at Walden as my inspiration and as an archetypal model for what we need. I don't have a publisher yet, so I don't know for sure if this idea will become a reality.
    I'll be teaching again on Cape Cod in July for the New England Educational Institute. I always enjoy that week of interaction with doctors, psychiatrists and social workers (and a few ordinary folks), talking about Jung and Hillman and my own take on spirituality. I'm also taking an active part in spreading the word about my wife's new book Art & Yoga. Finally, I've taken to writing very brief observations on twitter almost every day. I like the form and the brevity. I can imagine a book of such tweets.



Thomas Moore                the guru of golf    
             
  
EVENTS AT A GLANCE

CAPE COD, MA 
July 11-15, 2011

"Care of the Soul and Spirituality in Psychotherapy"
New England Educational Institute
For more information on or to register for this inspiring week-long seminar, please click here.

LONDON
September 24, 2011, 2-4:30pm
"The Blue Buddha: Healing Body, Soul, and Spirit"
I Can Do It! 2011 Conference (September 23-25)
For more information or to register, please click here.

 LONDON  
October 1, 2011
"Care of the Soul"
Join Thomas at Alternatives for an all-day workshop on Care of the Soul. To learn more about Alternatives, please visit http://www.alternatives.org.uk

CAPE COD 

October 11, 2011, 8am

Falmouth Hospital, Grand Rounds
As a part of Pastoral Care Week at Falmouth Hospital, Thomas Moore will bring together the medical and the spiritual.



ruleTom in Donegal
Tom in Donegal, Ireland  1960.



SANTA FE, NEW MEXICO
October 21-23, 2011
"Care of the Soul and Spirituality in Psychotherapy"
For more details or to register, please click here.

PARADISE ISLANDS, BAHAMAS  
February 1-4, 2012
 
"From Religion to Spirituality"
The Sivananda Ashram Yoga Retreat
Led by Thomas Moore and Hari Kirin Kaur Khalsa

Many of us began our lives within the confines of an institutional religion where the emphasis was on keeping the rules, not deviating from the teachings, and increasing membership. But over time, our experiences and secular learnings have changed us. Now we want a more personally relevant, positive, less moralistic approach. This workshop is for anyone who is trying to sort out religious tradition from a spiritual path.

This weekend we will deepen our connection to spiritual life through yoga, meditation, and chant. We will ground our practice through self-inquiry, lecture, discussion, and creative-arts exercises where we'll get to choose music, art, writing, and movement. No previous yoga experience required.

To learn more about the Ashram, please visit www.sivanandabahamas.org

Labels: ,